Sunday, November 23, 2008

Actron diagnostic code reader a handy tool


The Jaguar has been running poorly lately and I decided to invest in a Code Reader to help troubleshoot the problems.

I choose the Actron CP9125 on Amazon.com for around $62. The code reader will hook up to vehicles for model years 1996 and above.

As the above photo shows, it was simple to hook into my 1998 Jaguar's onboard computer via a connector located alongside the transmission hump near the accelerator pedal.

After starting the engine, the code reader went to work and returned several codes that I was able to lookup using the included software, such as the "P0171" code shown on the display in the photo. My problems include a lean mixture on engine cylinder banks 1 and 2. It also returned a transmission error that I need to get checked out right away.

So it looks like I'm headed to my local Jaguar mechanic in a few days and I'll already have an idea of what my problems are.

That's always valuable information for a Jaguar owner.

No comments: